nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels, again

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels, again
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:38:09 -0600

I thought I would post something that I tried so that someone else would NOT try it.

Heh, heh. Thanks for that! I'd rather have squirrels than skunks!

I've tried blood meal to keep rabbits away, and it didn't bother them in the slightest. One time, shortly after I'd applied a fresh layer of blood meal, I went outside to find a rabbit sitting right in the middle of it - right on top of the blood!

I did have a problem with squirrels digging up my bean seeds last spring (they didn't seem to be eating the beans, or not all of them, but they were definitely digging them up), so I just covered the row with a strip of chickenwire (lying flat on the ground), until the beans had sprouted. That seemed to work just fine, since they couldn't dig through it. Once the beans were growing, there was no problem, even after I removed the barrier.

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
There have been no dirtier wars than religious wars, no bitterer hates than religious hates, no fiendish cruelty like religious cruelty; no baser baseness than religious baseness. - Felix Adler, 1876