nafex - Re: [NAFEX] prunus genetics

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] prunus genetics
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:56:16 -0600

On the Pititsin series of plums as it says below they are closer to pure Salicina plums than most Salicina plums in North America.

PTITSIN SELECTIONS: Imported from L.V. Ptitsin, Harbin, Manchuria in 1939 by the Canada Department of Agriculture, Morden, Manitoba, Canada. In an effort to find very winter hardy plum varieties for Canada as well as finding hardy Prunus salicina these selections were imported from Manchuria. They are closer genetically to true Prunus salicina than most cultivars in North America.

As to the statement about pure Salicina plums, there can be no doubt that the Japanese hybridized the selections of plums they imported from China in their long past history. Since the plums that are the breeding foundation of our Japanese plum breeding programs are from Japan and not China then in my opinion they are not true to the wild Salicina plums of China. It seems that the Salicinas lost some of their cold hardiness when they went to Japan. There is no doubt that the Salicinas of Korea and Manchuria are "generally" more cold hardy than the Silicinas of Japan. It would be nice to have some DNA tests done, to determine genetic origin. At present I am not aware of any that have been done.

Regards,

Richard Ashton

Oak Creek Orchard

www.oakcreekorchard.com