nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Calville blanc? Chroncel?

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Calville blanc? Chroncel?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:51:44 -0500 (EST)

I have no personal experience with either, but these are different apples.

A German site says that Croncel(s) starts to be picked around the last
week of August and keeps four weeks (?).

There are descriptions of Calville Blanc d'Hiver on several websites, such as
http://www.vintagevirginiaapples.com/apples/calville.htm
and
http://1000pom.free.fr/pommes.htm

The latter says that Calville Blanc is picked in the third week in October
and is in use from the first week of December to the first week in April
(common storage?)

The late Robert Nitschke of NAFEX said in his catalogue in 1968 that
Calville Blanc reached its best quality only after the warmer and sunnier
summers at Detroit where he lived.

If you are at all space limited, I suspect that there might be better
choices for Rochester, especially if you are close to Lake Ontario and its
cooling influence.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada