nafex - Re: [NAFEX] homemade apple cider vinegar

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] homemade apple cider vinegar
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 19:40:51 -0800

How long depends on the mother you use; I you just add ‘mother-included’ vinegar from a health/natural food store, it won’t be as fast or reliable as buying some mother directly.  It may be good if you keep that ‘live’ vinegar for months until the mother forms a layer, which will sink to the bottom of the vinegar bottle.  Strain off the vinegar, and use that.  Once you have good mother-of-vinegar, you can transfer it from batch to batch.   Although you’ll get usable vinegar in less time, it takes 10 weeks before you have excellent quality.  More time is better.  Natural food store apple cider vinegar is pretty good – you may not notice a big difference.  The red and white wine vinegars you can easily make at home will be better than any you can buy, and an 87 point 5-7 dollar bottle of wine will make a great vinegar.  Or splurge and get a 90-pointer, for about ten bucks.  Still cheap, and the vinegar quality will be amazing.  Although you can get down to commercial pH levels, homemade vinegar from good wine is drinkable, which is good; and will transform your salad dressings.

Many beer and wine suppliers sell mother.

~ Stephen