nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tenn pear

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tenn pear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:11:17 -0600

Does anyone have the faintest idea what this pear was called or numbered when it was either released, or not released? Or even what year it came out? I know of two trees, and they are very good. But it is rather frustrating to not know more about them. If Sherwood Akin was the source, he was buddies with a USDA breeder in SC, and I guess the variety could have slipped out that way. Other things slipped out in similar ways, things that we taxpayers paid to have produced, but the plant breeders didn't see fit to release. I've read that the Murcott, a fantastic citrus cross, would never have been released by the USDA these days, because they tree has got problems. Because in the old days they had to work more with comercial growers, the stock was already in the hands of the public. Donna