nafex - [NAFEX] New vacuum food storage product

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New vacuum food storage product
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:25:18 -0800 (PST)

Reynolds is marketing a "new" approach for vacuum food storage that I think may be of interest.  Called "Handi-Vac", it's a hand held, battery operated vacuum pump that uses special quart and gallon sized zip lock bags with a vacuum valve on them.  Pack the bag with frozen fruit, seal the zip, then vacuum the air out.  Takes less than a minute.

Bags are can be opened at the zip for food removal, then reclosed and re-vacuumed.

Price is under $20 for the starter kit with the vacuum and some bags.  Bag cost is not much more than name brand.  I've had one for a couple of months and its been working very well for my frozen gooseberries.  I long ago gave up on other, more expensive vacuum sealers but this one has been worthwhile.

(Hope this is not consider OT)

John

  • [NAFEX] New vacuum food storage product, John S, 11/28/2007