nafex - [NAFEX] Improving Cornus spp. as a food crop

  • From: bill dality <namtoo@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Improving Cornus spp. as a food crop
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:04:31 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone heard of the existence of interspecies hybrids within the cornus genus?
Anyone have any experience with graft compatibility between cornus species?
How about chromosome numbers?
Seems to be a lot of variation in fruit size and taste ,and therefore room for selection for fruit size and fruit quality in those cornus species wch produce edible fruit.

Does anyone have a selection of Cornus kousa wch produces really good-tasting fruit ..such as "Milky Way" --said to have the flavor of papaya".