nafex - [NAFEX] Elderberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Elderberry
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:09:34 -0600

Some time ago I asked for suggestions of fruit that would grow in shade and didn't get any answers that I could use. Since then I've been experimenting and learned that Sambucus canadensis does very well in shade. It produces more in open sunlight but isn't a slouch in the shade either. Most of mine are about 10' north of a line of maple trees and do get peeks of sunlight depending upon how the maple leaves blow in the wind. A few of my elderberry bushes are north of (under) White Pine and Spruce and do get just a bit of direct sunlight about an hour before sunset. All are quite productive.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: