nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tart Apples

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tart Apples
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 01:25:46 -0500

As grown in Ontario I find it too sour for its not very interesting flavour in most years. In sunny years it can be pleasant, and well grown and well ripened samples can be reasonably good most years.

I have heard good things about its keeping qualities, and I have heard a commercial grower say that it is *too* easy to grow, to expect a good price. It seems to have lost a lot of consumer popularity in the last few years with the rise of Gala, Fuji, Braeburn, and many new apples.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Anton Callaway wrote:
I love this apple too. As grown in NY it is a very good apple, reminiscent
of it's Jonathan ancestry.

However, don't try growing it in the Southeastern US. It is quite susceptible to fireblight.
Anton
Zone 8