nafex - Re: [NAFEX] stinkbugs on fruit

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] stinkbugs on fruit
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:22:03 -0500

Try neem seed oil.  It's sold at the big boxes as Fruit and Nut Spray by Greenleaf.  It's totally organic (they make toothpaste out of it in India) and works very well on stink bugs.  When I lived along the Gulf in Texas, where the bugs are epidemic, neem seed oil was the best tool.  It paralyzes their intestines and they starve.

Two cautionary notes:
1.  The stuff will clog sprayers if you don't clean thoroughly.  I add dish detergent to the spray as a sticker and then pump through dish detergent in the cleaning water.
2.  Spray in the morning or evening, as the oil acts like a prism and will burn foliage in the middle of the day.  Also, avoid times when pollinators are on plants, as they will die from neem, too.

Hope this helps.
Doreen Howard
Zone 5a-4b, along the IL-WI border