nafex - [NAFEX] Peanut Butter Treats

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peanut Butter Treats
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:44:53 -0400

I don't believe the little peanut butter and Plaster of Paris 'Bon Bons' work very well - if at all! I saw one squirrel with distinguishing white marks on its tail pick up the treat about 10 seconds after I had placed it. That little B... is still ravaging the few apples that developed on my trees. I may have to put some rat seeds in the middle of the treat to complete the job! A cat that ate some of the treats is also doing well and actually stalking some of the tree rats. Unfortunately, there are too many trees and the rats scurry away to safety.

Strange year for the apples. I pruned in early Aug, and now, my Ida Red has six whirls of blossoms in bloom - the same quantity that had developed in the spring! Nothing on the others.

Does anyone know of a source for Pixie Crunch in upstate New York? Will be there during the Canadian Thanksgiving, Oct 6-8, spending our above par Canadian $$'s.

jmb