nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pecan Varieties

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pecan Varieties
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:23:01 -0500

I have little experience with pecans, but I get excited about them, so I'll add my thoughts.  My wife's relatives down in SE Kamas have a pecan grove.  After trying many varieties they are down to just planting three main ones.  Two that I remember were Kanza and Peroque (Peroque not because it was outstanding, but because they need to finish out the row/block).  They are really high on Kanza.  He said they produce like crazy.  He also said it's the best tasting nut they grow.  Personally I can't tell a bit of difference in taste between Kanza and Pawnee (two that I can sort of identify) but all pecans taste great to me.

After trying to graft pecan this spring (unsuccessfully) I gave in and decided to order the trees.  I figure I could waste years trying to get grafts to take.  After talking with John Britain, we decided Major and Kanza would be a good combo for my area.  Both not the largest nuts, but high quality.  I hope the squirrels appreciate the trouble I'm going through.

Mark
Kansas