nafex - [NAFEX] Pecans

  • From: "Judson Frisk" <jlfrisk@iowatelecom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pecans
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:07:59 -0500

I have a northern variety of Pecan that had nuts this year.  I have picked about an ice cream bucket full off the ground.  I can’t tell if any are solid yet as they still have the green husks.  I only have one tree as the other variety died when I planted the trees. This is the first year that I have ever found nuts. Will they be able to start new trees if I plant them?  And how should I plant them?  The tree is about 25 years old and about 25-30 feet tall.  My persimmon (Early Golden) is loaded and the persimmons that are falling are very sweet this year.  Once I planted a male tree to pollinate the persimmon I have regularly had good crops of persimmons.  Because of the spring freeze that hit our area we have very few apples, pears, or apricots.  But the nut crop in the neighborhood seems large.

Judson L. Frisk, Logan, Iowa (SW Iowa, Zone 5)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.