nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:12:36 -0500

Yuzu is mostly grown for the peel, for flavoring. One favored use is stuffing the peel before cooking it. I have heard it is fragrant, and that the pulp is tart but good flavored. Seedling trees are hopeless, it really needs to be grafted, preferably from an old budline. I don't know of any source, they didn't have it in the Fla budwood collection when I used to go there. The parentage is thought to be Ichangensis X Satsuma. When this cross is made, the results are very similar to Yuzu. Another successful ichangensis cross is Ichang Lemon. This is a huge yellow fruit, tart and juicy. The Houston citrus bunch gave up on trifoliata, as has everyone before them, and started doing ichangensis crosses. Some of their best results are still floating around in NAFEX and the Houston area. I think these include Clem Yuzu 3-3 and Yusvange. Donna