nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Useful mutants

  • From: "Paul Cabe" <CabeP@wlu.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Useful mutants
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:30:36 -0400

I've read that other flowers are bred from seeds exposed to
colchicine, which damages (changes) the genome.  Maybe that's used to
create polyploidy, I forget the details.

Ginda

You remember correctly.  Colchicine disrupts the mitotic spindle apparatus, and has long been used to increase ploidy levels.  Can be done to double the chromosome number in a cultivar, or sometimes to double the chromosomes in a sterile hybrid to make it fertile.
In general, cell size is correlated with DNA/chromosome content in the nucleus, so more chromosomes often mean bigger cells, and by extension, bigger fruits, flowers etc.  Fruits, having larger cells and thus less abundant cell walls, may be juicier or more tender.

best,
Paul Cabe