nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit footies results for peaches- final report

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit footies results for peaches- final report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:16:38 -0500

Hi Nate,

Supposedly Reliance is a soft peach by nature.  I have one that was supposed to fruit this year, but the frost nixed it.  You mentioned the quality is very good.  So many times, I've read the quality is supposed to be only fair.  Yet, like you, there are other Nafexers who say it's delicious.  It does make one wonder if there is more than one Reliance out there.  Someone on the list propagated a Reliance a couple of years ago from wood obtained from Prof. Meader's son.  Interesting to see what kind of peach it produces, if he reports.

Bird pecks cause the fruit to ripen sooner.  I think it's safe to say any significant damage to fruit, especially late in the game, will cause premature or uneven ripening.  That's why it's a joke to try to grow fruit organically here without bagging.  Even if you don't mind cutting out damage from insects, the fruit doesn't store.

Mark
Kansas
-Just picked our first watermelon of the season, but haven't cut it yet.  Tried to grow it twice before and failed both times (probably my brown thumb at work).  This year I planted them at the edge of a huge compost pile and directed the vines to grow inward.  I've watered the thunder out of them and have several nice looking melons coming on, although I wonder what this blistering heat will do to them.