nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum size - what affects it?

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum size - what affects it?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

This is consistent behavior for three years for the Wickson... it
sets very heavily, I've tried to thin more and the fruit is slightly
larger, but I've thinned over the season rather than all at once, so
this advice makes very good sense. I doubt the Shiro was thinned at
all.

We do have cold during bloom/fruit set, but not much we can do...
Wickson has been very reliable (well, over 3 years) through late
chill/frost weather, while the Santa Rosa by contrast didn't produce
a thing for 3 years out of 4, this is the first year we've had any
fruit off it - delicous, they are just ripening. Excellent stone
fruit year here. We even have a few almonds.

thanks

> Japanese plums are even more sensitive in size than most fruits to
> fruit
> set and I prsume to other factors affecting available resources for
> was there before, so factors affecting early growth (drought?) are
> crucial (thinning late has less effect on the remaining fruit than
> thinning early). I have read that calcium moves into apples mostly in
> > Cold weather at bloom and in the first few weeks means less cell
> > division and fewer cells, hence smaller fruit at ripening.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of
spyware protection.