nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricots from seed

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricots from seed
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:27:18 -0500

Self-fertile trees reproduce more true to variety than trees that require
pollinators. In my Nafex handbook there is a quote from Thomas Jefferson
indicating "peaches produce a faithful copy of themselves by seed" (or
something like that, I'm too lazy to go down and look it up exactly). He
was probably not dealing with the hybridized versions of today, but still
I've heard pretty good results with growing self fertile trees from seed.
Most apricots are self-fertile so my guess is you'd probably get a good
copy.

Mark