nafex - [NAFEX] Loganberries, was: Black Raspberries

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Loganberries, was: Black Raspberries
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:40:30 -0700 (PDT)

I came upon some loganberries today at the u-pick blueberry place, and
was amazed and delighted - great flavor, unobtrusive seeds, and soft
core. Red raspberries are great, but these were something more, I
couldn't eat a bowl of raspberries but I would of these loganberries.
Mmmm.

How do black raspberries, tayberries, marionberries, etc. compare
for fresh eating, as far as seediness and core? And flavor, of
course.

The siskiyou blackberries are a disappointment - large, yes, great
flavor, on the tart side, very seedy and a thick inedible core. May
as well eat the himalayans everywhere.

> Black raspberries are an excellent out-of-hand fresh fruit, and I
> like them
> a lot fresh off the cane.
>
> I happen to prefer red raspberries, which are one of the most
> aromatic and
> spectacular fruits in existance (although as with strawberries, they
> range
> from divine to flavorless, depending on cultivar and cultivation).
> But
> yes, i'm sure the original poster would enjoy black raspberries.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/