nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:37:48 -0500

At 07:11 AM 5/30/2007, you wrote:
When picked, my gooseberries retain a slight bit of their stem and their
dried blossom. When you make gooseberry jam, do you leave the stem and
blossom or do you painstakingly pick off each dried blossom and stem end
from each berry?

Jim,
I freeze the berries in ziploc freezer bags, with stems and the little dried blossom end still attached. Once frozen, you can pull them out of the freezer and 'massage' or 'roll' the berries around inside the bag and the stems/stylets mostly break off, then it's a fairly simple matter to winnow them out before you make jam or pie.
the few that remain attached aren't that big a deal to me(I always need a bit more 'roughage'), but I suppose for commercial purposes, the typical consumer *might* be put off a bit by their presence.
Lucky