nafex - Re: [NAFEX] late freeeze

  • From: btnutrition@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] late freeeze
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:42:53 -0400

I agree with Bob: don't feel bad for us at elevation in Utah (zone 5a, 5,000 feet, Northern Utah / Idaho line)!
Yes, it might freeze or snow here even in June (or July), but the dry weather eradicates many disease concerns.
By citing the "orchard" on a southward slope, against the south-west-facing brick wall of my home,
and planting a windbreak / suntrap to the NorthEast,
I successfully grow a wide diversity fruits and berries (mulberry, peach, apricot, apples, pear, cherry, goumi, gooseberry, cornus mas,
even blueberries...). Am using entirely organic methods (no chemical sprays) and have not had pest problems (other than neighborhood
children helping themselves)! Hard to balk at that....so few children these days will eat their fruits and vegetables, I don't mind sharing
if I can help encourage more nutritious eating habits with my "Edible Landscape."

My weather station recorded 32 degrees last night, and the month's low is 25 here. But I have good fruit set on all above mentioned
trees, with only 40-50% loss of fruit on one of the cherry trees (Bing, the Ranier cherry seems to have come through with no losses).

I think we all learn to make the most of what our locale has to offer (and a little ingenuity can help create the perfect
microclimate for most needs). After a decade of gardening in central California then
relocating here 6 years ago, I'm really digging zone 5. Glad to have found NAFEX and others who share my passion for
rare and uncommon fruits.

Jeanne

Jeanne Wallace, PhD, CNC (clinical nutrition consultant)
Logan, UT

  • Re: [NAFEX] late freeeze, btnutrition, 05/29/2007