nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Possible frost, what to do

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Possible frost, what to do
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:10:41 -0500

We've had extraordinarily warm weather for March and my peach and pluot trees are blooming and the cherry and pears are budding. This is the first year the peach and pluot have bloomed and we were really hoping for fruit. BUT...it looks like next week there may be weather in the 30s...possible frost. Any tips on how to protect these flowering and budding trees and get some fruit from them? Thanks!

I'm in the same situation, though now they're forecasting mid-twenties on at least one night this week. Ouch! However, my trees are only a year old, so I'm not so worried about the blossoms, only about the young leaves and shoots that are sprouting out EVERYWHERE.

I'm just a beginner at this, but I'm going to try to identify the plants most at risk and try to cover them, perhaps with a trouble light underneath, burning a 60 W. incandescent lamp. Well, I guess I've only got one trouble light, so the vast majority of my stuff will have to take its chances.

Tom mentioned overhead irrigation. I've never tried it, but I've known people who have (without success). As I understand it, water gives off some heat when it freezes, but this will only help if the situation is right on the edge - maybe a degree or two. And you must continue irrigating all night and until the ice melts the next day. If you stop, the ice will freeze the tissues (presumably, melting ice ABSORBS heat, just as freezing water releases it). But I'm sure others know a lot more about this than I do. (In fact, I'm sure I learned this from previous postings.)

Hmm,... I wonder if I should cover my strawberries with straw again? Couldn't hurt, I suppose. They seemed to be remarkably resistant to cold weather last fall (this is my first year with them), but I suppose the new growth might be more susceptible.

Good luck (to both of us)!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry