nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are GM crops killing honeybees?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are GM crops killing honeybees?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:34:45 -0500

It could be the pollen of my neighbors' BT corn that killed them.

This is obviously a question that needs to be taken seriously, but I doubt that we have real evidence to conclude anything much just yet. The whole subject of GM crops arouses intense passion, something like nuclear power. Some people are "anti" and will always believe the worst; some people are "pro" and will always believe the best. Both sides may well leap to conclusions on the slenderest of evidence, while the rest of us don't have a clue what to believe (I definitely include myself in this group!).

In any case, I'm sure we all believe that this is a serious concern, and that we need to be careful with GM crops. The difficulty is in the details - how much and what kind of research is needed, how much evidence is enough, how can we be reasonably confident (there are never any guarantees) that something won't sneak up and bite us on the butt? I doubt very much that we can settle that here, and I wonder if we should even debate it. As I say, the whole subject tends to arouse intense passions.

Well, one thing I AM sure of is that everyone here is concerned about the health of our planet, whether or not we entirely agree about every little detail.

Bill

--
In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language. - Mark Twain