nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bagging

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Bagging
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:59:24 -0600

Hi Dylan,

You may recall last summer Nate T. had some nice pictures of fruit bagging.
He used ladies footies and as I recall had good success. I bagged a few
fruits with footies last summer as well. I had good success with peaches.
Since peaches have such a short stem, I tied the footie around the branch
and had no insect or rot damage with bagged fruit. Some of the plums and
pears I bagged had insect damage but it was a lot less than unbagged fruits,
which had 100% damage. I think the insects that attacked the bagged pears
and plums got in through the stem. I was afraid of knocking the fruits off
the tree so I left the bags pretty loose around the stems. This year I may
tie the bags around the branch on all the fruits. If interested here is a
link for footies $4.50 for 144 plus tax and shipping. As I recall minimum
shipping was about $10.00.
http://store.storesupply.com/webapp/commerce/servlet/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=158501&prmenbr=631&merchant_rn=631

Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas
Coldest it got here this winter was 1degree F.