nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elstar Apple

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elstar Apple
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:58:00 -0600

Derry,
We are in west-central Texas (8a) and that is a hot somewhat dry area. We are certainly not a maritime area. We irrigate so water is not a problem.

The reason for the question is that many of the different fruit varieties that grow in France seem to do well here in this area. Soil and climate are somewhat similar on a general basis but it depends on what area of France they come from.

I am making a trail of a few Valstar (sport of Elstar) apples on M-7 from Van Well nursery. Time will tell.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com