nafex - Re: [NAFEX] But that's not what I asked............

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] But that's not what I asked............
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:29:00 -0800

Sorry, Jim, I flew off on another thread.

I have never heard of the three crabs you mentioned. The Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory lists Red Splendor, but gives no info.

Father Fiala 'Flowering Crabapples' lists Red Splendor (Minnesota 1948) a 'rosy bloom', fruit 1/2", persistent to December.

Midwest is also known as Malus ioensis, Iowa crabapple, Prairie Crabapple. It looks like it's a 'class' of crabapple highly susceptible to scab and cedar-apple rust, unique group, double flowering, strongly fragrant, late bloomers ... no mention of fruit or size of fruit.

Thunderbabies - no mention.

Once again, that's not what you asked but in lieu of solid information from the list, maybe it will help you decide.

Derry

Jim Fruth wrote:
To Rodney, Michele, & Derry,
I asked, " Of crab apple varieties Red Splendor, Midwest and Thunderbabies, which
tastes the best for eating out of hand? I want to plant the best tasting
one and need anyone's advice.