nafex - [NAFEX] Zone 3a Pears

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone 3a Pears
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:07:46 -0600

I bought Ure, Nova, John, Summer Crisp and Buerre Gifford from the former Bear Creek Nursery eleven years ago. So far the Ure has given me two fruits, two years ago. Nova failed to harden off one Fall and promptly died. John has been trying to die since I planted it. Buerre Gifford's leaves gets some unknown fungus every year and last year, for its first time, did bloom a few flowers but produced no fruit. Ditto for Summer Crisp; few flowers but no fruit. I keep threatening to grub them out and plant something that WILL bear - eleven years is a long time to wait for production.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com