nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 72

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 72
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:00:50 -0800

Hazelnuts (Corylus) will sucker and sprout back from cut stumps without spreading out and they are a traditional coppice species used for firewood, poles, etc. The exception is the Turkish Tree Hazel which is a non-suckering species. The late Cecil Farris in Michigan bred some good quality varieties that were resistant to eastern filbert blight, and it would be worthwhile to look into them. Remember that for nut production you need two different clones that are pollination compatible. Try searching for Cecil Farris's hazlenuts.
=Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com