nafex - [NAFEX] Diseases in bramble

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Diseases in bramble
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:40:00 -0600

Bob,
I'm sorry that I forgot to mention anything about disease: In the ten years that I've been growing my Pequot Black Raspberry, I have observed zero diseases. I have had a bout with cane borer though and had to figure out how to get rid of them.
Since I'm on the subject of Rubus disease, I should add that, of the several varieties of blackberries I grow, the only one that is susceptable to rust has been a wild type. I have seen rust on a few leaves of Fort Kent King. Of red raspberries, only mild fire-blight on K-81-6 and disease fre on Latham, Boyne, Encore, Nova, Dinkum, Polana, Autumn Bliss.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Bob,
You must be new on the listserv. I'm sell black raspberries bare-root
between October 15 and April 1. I sell the Pequot Variety which I developed
to thrive in zone 3. I have sold some to Alaskans in zone 2 and have
received positive reports back. Yes, they should serve you well in zone 5.
You ask about culture. Red raspberries reproduce asexually via
underground runners. Black raspberries RARELY send out runners preferring,
instead, to tip-root (When the growing point hits the ground, it sprouts
roots, becoming a new plant). Blackberries do both, runners and
tip-rooting. I prune red raspberries and blackberries but do not prune
blackberries. I prune red raspberries down to a comfortable picking height.
Research has indicated that red raspberries produce more berries if they are
prevented from swaying in the wind so I restrict mine with wires along both
sides of rows. I trellis blackberries and black raspberries. Pruning black
raspberries produces larger berries and fewer that have just a few druplets
per berry.
As for flavor, if you were to compare a red raspberry to that of
Koolaid, the flavor of black raspberries would compare to a fine merlot.
Purple Raspberries.......................... Since I grow both red and
black raspberries, bees carry pollen from one to another and, every year, I
find a few plants of purple raspberries that the birds have planted for me.
Purple raspberries are the offspring of a black and a red raspberry and
exhibit characteristics of both. I've grown several dozen to fruition and
they've all tasted the same which I'd describe as a little like a stale
rose' wine. If I didn't have black raspberries, I might consider a purple
raspberry to be delicious; then again, maybe not.
'Tell you what........................if you buy black raspberry plants
from me, I'll dig up a couple purple raspberry plants and send them to you
for free.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472