nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cooking with colorless honey

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cooking with colorless honey
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:10:02 -0500

Buckwheat honey sure as heck isn't colorless and neither is Tulip Popular. Tulip Popular is the most common produced honey in around Greensboro, NC and other places. It isn't desired by the public as much as less colored honey but we used to sell it to bakeries by the ton. Commercial processors bleach colored honey because of public desires. Bees don't seem to mind what they store and I have gathered pink honey from their robbing hummingbird feeders which is colored to attract those who are sucker enough to pay a high price for colored sugar.
I don't know for sure but I would suspect that colored raw honey contains more nutritive value than that amber pasteurized honey on the grocery shelf.
Cotton produces a clear colorless honey.
Moonshiners like to keep a few hives so they can use them as an excuse for buying a lot of sugar "to feed the bees' which is used to make lousy corn whiskey.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • Re: [NAFEX] Cooking with colorless honey, Doc Lisenby, 12/23/2006