nafex - Re: [NAFEX] -Stradivari's and Guarneri's Violin Mysteries- Plum species origins.

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] -Stradivari's and Guarneri's Violin Mysteries- Plum species origins.
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:36:38 -0800

The Sloe plum is P. spinosa and there are natural diploid and tetraploid forms of it. P. insititia and P. domestica are hexaploid (or allopolyploid or just alloploid ) species. The ancestry of P. domestica is tetraploid P. spinosa x diploid P. cerasifera (the cherry plum) which gave a triploid offspring, which was sterile. At some point the triploid form produced what was probably a limb sport that had double the number of chromosomes. That limb was fertile and it's seedlings were the first P. domestica. In fact, such hybrids were produced artificially, to get the triploids, and then treated with colchicine to produce something that is indistinguishable from P. domestica and which will cross with it. P. insititia has a similar origin, but instead of P. spinosa x P. cerasifera, the second species was something else. The Russians used this information to produce alloploid plums using cold hardy species like P. ussuriensis and the hybrids are cross-compatible with P. domestica in an effort to get high quality cold hardy plums. It's very hard to cross P. domestica with most other plums because of the difference in chromosome number, but it's possible to create these sort of alloploid species using most other diploid plums.
I'll add that P. domestica probably arose several times, which is why there is so much variation in it, as there were different forms of the parents involved, such as yellow cherry plums, etc.
-Lon Rombough