nafex - [NAFEX] Francis Fenton / Ben Davis apples

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Francis Fenton / Ben Davis apples
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:28:43 -0500

He's still alive; doing fine for 91..........

I went to his farm a couple weeks ago.
He was outside, and people were putting up Christmas Lights

I had seen a tree branch, weighed down almost to the ground with bright red apples.
It was a Ben Davis.
I asked if I could go pick some and Francis said, "Sure....not a real good apple"
He was right. Nice looking fruit, slightly acidic, not sweet, bland, ..yawn.

A Spencer apple, on the other hand is almost a perfect taste balance of what we all like about apples.
I bought some of them, and some Winter Bananas and said good-bye.

Richard Murphy

  • [NAFEX] Francis Fenton / Ben Davis apples, Richard MURPHY, 10/31/2006