nafex - [NAFEX] Centennials / apple pressing

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Centennials / apple pressing
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 06:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

Just checked my records, we ate the first centennials end of August, I waited
over a
month till they were 1/3 honey core (but still firm) for squeezing. This was
our first
year using an apple press ( with a disposal for a grinder). I am using the
stacked
'cheeses' method with a hydralic jack. After pressing the 3" high cheeses
come out like
thin dry pizzas, wonderful.
A great suprise has been how mediocre tasting (or somewhat over the
hill)apples, mixed
with a few tart apples, makes fantastic sweet cider. Since so many of the
hardy apples
are not keepers I am delighted to see how useful they are for sweet cider.
Mandan is an
example, a large, sweet, not very flavorful apple - but made a marvelous
cider with a few
prairie spys added.
And three cheers for apple-crabs for squeezing - they dont have to be halved
to fit the
disposal grinders' mouth - just toss 'em in as fast as it can chew.
Del N Minnesota

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN