nafex - Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 06:58:41 EDT

Richard,
Not quite.  You didn't pick Buffalo Berries, you picked Autumn Olive [Eleagnus Umbellata], a tall-bush, nitrogen-fixing fruiting shrub that on June 1 in the State of Massachusetts became illegal to propagate due to it being labelled by eco-conscious anti-progress elements as "invasive" .  Unfortunately, the govt. had this eco-conscious plant-hostility in progress and enacted the law before I became aware of their hostility, otherwise I would have shown up somewhere to speak in opposition to the proposed law.

What you can do with the berries - you may have already discovered some taste better than others - I used to estimate about 1 out of 10 was good and 1 out of 100 was outstanding.   But there may be more good than 1 out of 10 and this appears to be an exceptional year. You can put the raw berries in a wide slow-moving blender like a Kitchenaid, run them less than one minute on the slowest speed to separate seed from pulp, then put them through a fruit press so the best goes through and the seeds remain behind the press screen.  Then you can put them in  a crust with a sweetening such as raisins or date...freeze it..take it out eat it as a frozen pie....yum....really good.

I consider it my responsibility as a fruit explorer to go out and select from among Massachusett's Eleagnus, it was planted originally by the Mass Highway to hold the soil on banks, that's how it got to Mansfield. Our apples are alien, and invasive....how come they didn't make them illegal to propagate?  Huh....drives me nuts, the stupidity, here's this plant trying to help us rebuild soil nitrogen, idiots make it illegal.  Unbelievable.  So far as I know its still legal to pick them, so I'll continue doing that and its good I started propagating them last year and got some takes before propagating them became illegal.  I need to apply for an exception permit.
Charlie Paradise in Massachusetts