nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Enough of the killing

  • From: W3cmp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Enough of the killing
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:42:06 EDT

Joe:

    Best way to handle racoon problems that I know of is to bait a Have-a-Heart trap with come canned tuna or other fish and the apply a .22.  If the racoon is in a group others may overturn the trap and try like crazy to free the trapped animal. I've set traps in the evening and the next morining the bait is gone, the trap is overturned and there is evidence that an animal was trapped.  I assumed it was a racoon because these incidents occurred about the time I eventually caught a racoon in the trap.  I don't know if lacing the tuna with vermin poison works.  I have caught a couple when the trap was baited with peanut butter, but I was intending to catch squirrels. Racoons are smart and vicious and decimate an orchard.  I would be anxious to hear how others treat their problem with racoons.

                                                              Chris Patterson Zone 6b SE Pa