nafex - [NAFEX] Getting Sick from Wild Mushrooms

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Getting Sick from Wild Mushrooms
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:15:53 -0500

Mushroom experts tend to talk about mushrooms not being very digestible. As we age we tend to make less stomach acid for digesting protein, and so the pH meter on the pancreas doesn't tell it to dump as much of it's enzyme-containing buffering solution. In general Americans seem to be aging and developing degenerative diseases earlier than they should, probably due to the diet being so poor in minerals and vitamins. At work we have a place on the intake form for people to list their medications, illnesses or rather more like their degenerative conditions as they aren't contagious. I have celiac disease, which causes malabsorption, so I used to be a lot more like these people before I quit eating wheat. It was like I was on a very poor diet! Donna