nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Was Selling Pawpaws, now Pawpaw Yields

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Was Selling Pawpaws, now Pawpaw Yields
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:43:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2006 9:03:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ramoyer@gmail.com writes:

Jerry,
We have sold pawpaws for $1 each in local markets, and sold whatever we brought.  Don't know if that price would hold week after week, but we've sold out the few times we did so.
Chris Chmiel with Integration Acres joked several years back that if one cannot get $2/lb locally, he will buy it from you for that price if you can get them to him.  He's a reseller, still at a profit.
So I'm curious what your market will bear.  At least $1 each eliminates our need for a scale.  We did do 50 cents each for the real small ones, and moved those, too.

Many locals here claim pawpaws are not fit to eat until the skin is brown.  But at that oxidized (often rancid) state, many who eat them once and will not try them again.  Glad you are offering a choice of ripenesses, and that those tasters put off by the very ripe fruit can try some less ripe.

Hi Richard,

Yes, I knew Chris is selling them for $1.00 each. But I believe that is a the pawpaw festival. Better publicity there. Larger audience also attending the festival.  This is a small market open only Sat mornings. Rather sell all than taking half back home.

Thanks for your input.

Jerry