nafex - Re: [NAFEX] S.WI wild Plum id.

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] S.WI wild Plum id.
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:10:32 GMT

Tanis,
In Sauk Co. we have Prunus americana (most common; American or common
wild plum) and P. nigra (Canada wild plum). The americana seems to
sucker far more, and on average taste better. I have found (and lost
again) at least one P. nigra that I described at the time as 'tasty'
and the seedling that I grew under good conditions in the nursery
here has okay fruit.
Muffy Barrett
Baraboo, WI

-- tanis grif wrote:
I add another testamonial for the local wild plums! List recently
had a string
about trying to ID the species, and I'm ashamed to say I don't recall
what we have
here in south-central WI, z4-5. But so tastey they are in the "Is
this legal?!"
group. Fairly reliable bearing & versatile-- jelly, jam, wine. BUT,
also reliably
spreading via root suckering.

  • Re: [NAFEX] S.WI wild Plum id., bluestem_farm@juno.com, 08/26/2006