nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: Joe Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:44:35 -0400

tanis cuff wrote:

Nice mistake though, because I for one want to learn more about black walnuts.

Percent take was not very good... maybe 25%.
I really wanted to have many Emma K, so they got the whole nine yards. Parafilm did not arrive in time so I used polyethylene film (the cheap, stretchy, house-brand plastic wrap). Contrary to expectations, all but one croaked. I think they drown.
Ironically, the cultivars I did not care so much about (Sparrow and Drake) did not receive the plastic wrap treatment. They did much better. They were also grafted later in the season. Due to not having much time, I made sure I got the Emma K grafted and fit the others in when I could. I distinctly remember that the blackberry bushes were in heavy bloom as I grafted the Sparrow and the Drake.

I had 100% take on the two side grafts that I attempted. One was done the way you would do a green-stick graft (almost like a "T" bud). The other was the traditional slice into the side. Lucky THANKS for the tip. I will do many more side grafts next year.

I stupidly tried to conserve scionwood. I used one bud per graft and made the cut at the top fairly close (1/2"-to-3/4", 13mm-to-20mm) from the bud. I don't think that the problem was the single bud....rather that walnut scion is hollow and very susceptible to drying out.

Lessons learned:
-Plastic wrap can be counterproductive
-Graft when the blackberries are in full bloom
-Brown paper lunch bags are good..but stop peeking!
-Side grafts are the cat's meow for BW
-Make top cut at least 1" (25mm) from the top bud.
-It is great to have plant growing friends who generously share tips

-Joe