nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bird netting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bird netting
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:54:13 -0400

On Aug 2, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:

Was it you who posted before about having snared critters in the netting?
Now it looks like the snarings just happened near ground level.

Yes, I posted that before. And yes, most of the snarings happened at ground level. The juncos were often a bit higher in the netting, but they are ground feeders, and I believe they got tangled near the bottom, then flew up into the netting in fear. The chipmunks all got in at the ground.

For a year I simply left the netting draped over the top, not all the way down, and I didn't snare many creatures, but I did lose a lot of fruit from my very low plants. It might not be as much of a problem with highbush blueberries.

Ginda