nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum tree leaves drying up and falling off

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum tree leaves drying up and falling off
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:28:21 -0500

If it is the entire tree, I would be less inclined to think that it is verticillium because that tends to give a sectional dieback in the trees. http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/X1008.pdf .  I’d be more concerned with the watering cycle actually.  With a lot of watering, even in heat or drought, there might be root rot organisms that are chomping away at the root system and causing problems with water uptake and that would lead to the wilting.  When you start to see sectional dieback, I would worry about verticillium wilt.  I did have some phythopthra during last year's drought here in Northern Illinois in my peaches due to over-compensating with too much irrigation.  Check some of your roots or trowel out some soil next to one of the trunks at soil level about 2-3 inches down.  Scrape some of the bark or root sections and if you see an orange to brownish orange color, then it is possibly phythopthra  or root rot.  Hope this helps!