nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Budding Question

  • From: "Lee Sharp" <leesharp@cableone.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Budding Question
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:52:31 -0500

I never did see what I thought was an answer to your original question in regards to range of time to know if bud was likely to take. I was taught by a professional budder/grafter in South Louisiana and I realize things can be slightly different depending on the climate/weather where one lives. What I was told is to let the entire bud stay wrapped for 21 days for "T" bud, then remove all the wrapping material.  If the woody material containing the bud remains natural colored it has taken, if not the woody part will be rotten/decayed or have a dried and other than normal color. If it appears to have taken cut the rootstock off 1 inch above the bud eye to force it. Do this at the time bud is unwrapped.

Budding can be done anytime the bark will slip. Here in the southeast we bud from early April thru late fall. Chip budding can be done earlier than "T" budding or later in the year when the bark does not slip. On citrus we let chip buds remain wrapped 30 days.
Regards,
Lee
Zone 8A