nafex - Re: [NAFEX] amelanchier drainage

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, M Stanton <6ducks@fuse.net>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] amelanchier drainage
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:39:59 -0400

On Jun 27, 2006, at 9:53 AM, M Stanton wrote:

Hi All,

I don’t currently have Amelanchiers although I want to make room for a couple.

I always figured they needed decent drainage, although several authorities suggest that at least A. Canadensis does well in wet situations, since its native to wetter sites.

Any thoughts?   Since the cultivars in the trade are often hybrids, I’d like to hear your experiences.  Do you have cultivars that have succumbed to Phytophthora or other root rots?  Cultivars that grow really well in wet soils?  Cultivars that are really, really great in very dry sites?

Thanks!

I can't offer any advice as to cultivars or good sources, but I can say that I've seen Amelanchiers growing wild with their roots in the water at the edge of little islands on lake Winnepasauke, and I have one growing wild in my backyard at the top of a hill with excellent drainage - one day after our (national-news-making) flooding rains, the ground wasn't a bit muddy, and towards the end of summer this soil gets very dry.  So I'm certain the species is pretty adaptable as to moisture, and I bet you can find one that works in your conditions.

Ginda