nafex - Re: [NAFEX] slow grafts

  • From: "Alan ." <yarrylo@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] slow grafts
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 03:06:55 +0000

Last year I spring bud grafted onto some pretty tenuous bareroot one year persimmon seedlings and opted not to prune back the stock at all. The grafts took without sprouting of the bud, and the stocks all survived that hot dry summer. This spring before leaf out, I pruned the stocks back to about 6 inches above the graft and have since had vigorous growth from the grafts - 1 to 2 feet. I don't think I lost much by not pushing things, and believe I may have lost the stocks had I been more aggressive.