nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple bagging/thinning

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple bagging/thinning
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 18:43:28 -0400

LOL, the correct question would be, which pest isn't damaging my apples. My two major pests are deer and winter moths, both of which have the potential to kill the trees completely. I am treating those with a combination of fencing and spinosad spray. I couldn't apply the second spray when I should have because the heavens opened up, and I was busy building an ark. I applied it a couple weeks late. Fortunately, the first spray was quit effective and the trees are not in danger of death this year, at least not from insects. Other pests include moderate apple scab, light cedar apple rust, and an assortment of insects. The visible damage to the applets was some tiny black spots (entrance holes?) some bumps (??), a semicircular scar on one little apple, a weird shape deforminty on another (possibly just lack of pollination?), and a bunch that had shriveled up and died (possibly normal "June drop").

There is no possibility of reducing pest pressure through sanitation, as the whole neighborhood (mature suburbs with wooded patches) is full of seedling crab apples, most of which aren't on my property. There's one just across the line, for instance, that has rather attractive red blossoms, and then becomes a mass of scab for the rest of the season.

Oh, so I guess the answer is: I've never seen fireblight. :)

thanks,
Ginda