nafex - Re: [NAFEX] polyploids are so interesting

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] polyploids are so interesting
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

I guess I have to take issue with some of the comments
on strawberries. Not all polyploids are created using
colchicine. Many polyploids are naturally occuring,
as is the case in strawberries. There are wild 4x and
8x strawberries and our domesticated type is a hybrid
between two separate species and is already 8x, that
doesn't need to be induced. The reason why the
strawberries in the supermarket are bland and
flavorless has nothing to do with this and I am
disappointed that the blurb doesn't set this straight.
If you're selecting for fruit that turn color before
they are physiologically ripe so you can pick them
while they are still firm then of course they won't
have any flavor...

As for Jim's comments, octoploids won't revert back to
tetraploids or diploids, small fruit size in older
plants is due to the crown being inefficient at
resource mobilization and is a physiological effect of
the plant being old, often in combination with viruses
that cause smaller fruit size as a planting ages. A
triploid strawberry is entirely possible as many of
the wild species are diploid and tetraploid and there
could well be a hybrid between them but the fruit
would be quite small if you escape the sterility
issues. Some crops handle triploid sterility quite
well (apples, seedless watermelon) and others are
almost entirely sterile at the triploid level, so it
depends on a lot of things.

Michael Dossett

http://thefruitblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/triploid-apples.html