nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What is this on this peach tree?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What is this on this peach tree?
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:19:19 -0700

Don't know about the trunk, but the leaf is definitely peach leaf curl, Taphrina deformans. It's a fungal disease and most common in cool, wet spring weather. We have it here in Oregon constantly. The main control is lime-sulfur spray before midwinter. After a certain point in the winter the bud scales loosen and the spores get down into the buds. Keep up your winter dormant spray and you can often get away without any further control. There are also some resistant cultivars.
-Lon Rombough