nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 21:56:52 -0400

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)

Get some guinea fowl, they solved my tick problem.
Keith
I got two.  I handy raised them, they are tame.  I hold out my hand with little bugs the size of ticks and they don’t pick them off my hand.  I wish I knew how to interest them in little bugs.  I think about bringing in an experienced hen, believing that since these were raised without mentoring from an experienced guinea, maybe they never learned interest in very small bugs.
They nest on the ground. Coyotes!  Need I say more?

 Jerry
When my two spent their first night outside, I found them on the ground and caged them inside for the night.  The next night, I lifted each up into a tree.  Once on the tree, they climbed to the top.  When home by dark, I put food in a cage, they go quickly into the cage, then I carry the cage into basement for the night.  If I don’t make it home by nightfall, they climb a certain tree and roost their all night – never on the ground.
That's what I was afraid of.  We now have coyotes, raccoons, and probably a fisher.  Probably be difficult to keep fowl.  (Even if it's legal)

Ginda
And we have a neighborhood dog, who took out the two chickens I had two years ago.  My two have now survived one year.  It appears possible to keep them in a suburban area.  It is legal here – barely.  I do have to pay the town $50 once a year and an inspector comes and looks.  This is expensive but cheaper than antibiotics and doctors for tick bites.  The question is can we stand the attention, the birds are very unusual.
And they serenade bedtime by screaming – so I try to have got them down in the basement before that particular cacophany begins.  People driving by in cars have stopped and gotten out with cameras to take pictures!  School buses halt for a minute so the kids can watch the birds.  People are fascinated.  So far no serious complaints.  But I brought them in to pick ticks and I’m afraid they’re duds in that department.

Anyone in area may wish to hear of Bantam Club meeting May 7,
http://www.newenglandbantamclub show and sale but haven’t heard if guineas will be there.
Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts suburban zone 6

  • Re: [NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine), Charles Paradise, 05/04/2006