nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unusual rooting experience

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unusual rooting experience
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 06:54:18 -0700

The shoots were cut in late September when they still had leaves, since the reason for cutting them was to feed caterpillars. The caterpillars ate part of the leaves and used some to make cocoons. This species of caterpillar makes a cocoon by tying the leaf to the stem, then it lines the leaf with silk, ties the edges together, and makes a cocoon inside that. The shoots on which all of this was happening were left in the jar of water to keep them fresh. When all the caterpillars had spun cocoons, the cage was put in an unheated shed where the temperatures never got to freezing, but stayed cool all winter. When the cage was brought out recently, the cut shoots were found to have rooted and were breaking bud, pushing new shoots only a week or two behind the tree outside.
That's as much as I can tell you about it. To duplicate it, you would at least have to try putting shoots in water in the fall, and leave them all winter.
-Lon Rombough