nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fish emulsions vs deer

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fish emulsions vs deer
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:10:52 -0700

I had no success whatsoever with fish emulsion.  Neither I, nor apparently the deer, were aware it was supposed to be a deer-terrent.  Having a dog certainly worked as long as the dog was outside.  But dogs are social animals, and want to be inside.  I do recall there was much less deer activity with the dog-scent about the yard.  The fence, which did work, was visible.  It wasn’t built to the expensive height the books say is necessary keep the deer from jumping over, but was close, and was a great inconvenience to them.  I also planted clover between the woods and the garden, and the deer filled up on that, happily.  Sometimes when I was in the garden – or not – I would leave the gate open, and deer would wander cautiously in.  We would watch each other, only a few feet apart.  They did precious little damage to the garden, I assume because they filled up on the clover.  I still like the approach of making the food you want to eat more difficult for the pest animals, while giving them something easy to eat – and cheap – nearby.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate